Optrex Infected Eyes Ointment contains 1% w/w Chloramphenicol and is an eye ointment for the treatment of acute bacterial conjunctivitis.
The most common type of eye infection is called acute bacterial conjunctivitis. Optrex
Infected Eyes contains an antibiotic called chloramphenicol which, when applied topically, treats the infections that effect the eyes surface.
Symptoms of acute conjunctivitis include the whites of your eyes becoming red, swollen eye lids and a pale discharge. Eyes can also feel "gritty", often resulting in difficulty to open eyes.
Not recommended if:
Directions for use:
- You are allergic to chloramphenicol.
- If you have ever had problems with your blood during a previous course of treatment with chloramphenicol.
- If you or your family have had a history of blood problems.
- If you or any members of your family have had poblems with bone marrow making blood cells.
Apply a small amount of ointment to the affected eye 3-4 times daily for 5 days.
Cautions and Warnings:
- Keep out of reach and sight of children.
- Always read the leaflet provided.
- Not intended for children under 2 years of age.
- For external use only.
- Not suitable for the elderly.
- Always seek advise from your doctor if you have any further eye complaints.
If you are a contact lense wearer, it is not recommended to use lenses over the course of your treatment. Avoid wearing your lenses for at least 24 hours after you have stopped using this ointment. Always consult your optician first.
1% (1mg per milligram) w/w Chloramphenicol. With liquid parafin and polyethylene in mineral oil.
If you are a contact lens wearer, it is not recommended to use lenses over the course of your treatment. Avoid wearing your contact lenses for at least 24 hours after you have stopped using this ointment. Always consult your optician first.